As a custom home building company, we have recently evaluated a few of the most common things your custom home builder should have. After all, building a new luxury home requires knowledge and skills and the ability to provide features and design elements that production builders do not typically provide. The home building experience and the entire customer experience are primarily based on the builder’s capabilities in these essential areas. Read on for three skillsets your custom home builder should always have!
Skillset, Staffing, and Bandwidth
There are a few different questions that your custom home builder should be able to answer regarding these three qualities. They include:
- The capabilities and business model of the home builder will heavily influence the kind of client experience you receive. Do they have what it takes?
- Do they have plenty of human resources, equipment, and capital to manage various projects?
- Do they provide extensive and detailed oversight for project management?
- Do they employ master carpenters vs. junior carpenters, or do they have carpenters on staff at all?
- Do they provide client concierge services? This would be someone working side-by-side with the client throughout every phase of the project to help enhance selections, stay on schedule, and coordinate different meetings and showroom visits.
- Do they have in-house fabrication, or do they outsource?
- Are their contractors reliable?
Site Preparation and Permitting
A qualified builder will be very well versed in the residential construction permitting requirements for the area you are looking to build in. Areas such as waterfront properties, forest preservation spots, and areas designated for controlled growth all require in-depth knowledge and can be associated with fees for lengthy processes. These should be talked at the outset of the process to help ensure your builder has the right experience and expertise to help guide you on this journey.
Collaborative Approaches with Your Custom Home Builder
For luxury home builders, is your home builder adept at collaborating with other professionals, like the interior designer, architect, or landscape architect, to help ensure that your vision is truly carried out? This relationship between you and your home builder will start with the design and the estimation, which might take months to finalize.
Robin Ford Can Help You to Build the Custom Home of Your Dreams!
With over 30 years of award-winning custom home building experience, Robin Ford and his team of expert craftsmen have earned a stellar reputation for their commitment to quality. Click here to learn more about our financing options and how we can help you find a home within your budget.
As an Indoor airPLUS Partner, ENERGY STAR® Partner, Certified Green Professional, and Maryland’s only proud member of the exclusive Southern Living Custom Builder Program –Robin Ford Building and Remodeling, Inc. is equipped to build you a home that your children’s children will want to own.