Superior craftsmanship, personal attention, and complete customization are the hallmarks of a Robin Ford home. For more than three decades, Robin Ford and his team of craftsmen have built the finest custom homes and renovations in Carroll County, Maryland and the surrounding region. Our commitment to quality has led to our designation as a Certified Green Professional, Certified Aging-In-Place Specialist, Indoor airPlus partner, and ENERGY STAR® Partner. When you work with Robin Ford Building and Remodeling, Inc., you receive consistent, transparent communication, and personal attention from Robin, who visits the job site on a regular basis to ensure our standards are upheld. Contact us today to schedule a consultation, and see why Carroll County residents have voted us as “Carroll’s Best” 12 consecutive years and counting.
Our Building Process
Questions to Consider Prior to 1st Meeting…
- Do you have a house plan selected? Or of the sample plans here on our site, which best meet your living needs? Also, we can customize any house plan for you…
- What style of home do you prefer? – Two-story, ranch, bungalow…
- What interior spaces do you require? – Number of bedrooms and baths, 1st or 2nd floor master bedroom, family room, formal dining/living, study/office, keeping room, breakfast area…
- Approximate square footage?
- Interior finishes? – Hardwood, tile, carpet, other wish list or must-haves
- Exterior finishes? – Stone, brick, HardiePlank siding, vinyl siding
- Do you have bank pre-qualification? This will help determine your budget.
- What is your budget?
- When would you like to begin your project?
- This typically is your first meeting, to establish your overall needs and desires in your new home. This includes reviewing house and floor plans from your wish-list to determine what is feasible for your budget, as well as discussing financing options and typical procedures. Please refer to the questionnaire above and on our Contact Us page.
- You will also discuss building lot options – yours, ours, or we can assist you in your search. If you own your building lot bring your plot/site plan and well and septic information.
- If you already have a house plan chosen, we can provide a general pre-estimate price.
With a budget and/or pre-estimate price, you can contact lending institutions to determine your eligibility for construction financing. The following are lenders we have worked with and recommend:
45 W. Main Street
Westminster, Maryland 21157
|1st Mariner Bank|
Ms. Ashley Joliffe
2661 Riva Road, Building 1000, Suite 1020
Annapolis, MD 21401
|New Windsor State Bank|
Mortgage Loan Officer
222 E. Baltimore St
Taneytown, MD 21787
Desk: 443-671-5958 Ext1749
|Sandy Spring Bank|
9112 Guilford Rd, Suite 2
Columbia, MD 21046
Preliminary House Plan Design Review:
- If your chosen house plan needs modification, we recommend working with GBL Custom Home Plan Design to develop your perfect plan. Robin provides his experience and expertise to guide you through this phase and stay within budget. GBL takes about 2 weeks to complete modifications to a set of plans. We request a $2,000 deposit for this service, which will be included in home pricing if you contract to build your home with us. Further modifications by GBL may require additional billing. You always have the option to provide an architect/designer of your choice — we are happy to work with them.
- You will work with Robin to determine general preferences for interior and exterior finishes that will impact budgeting, such as siding, brick, stone, windows, HVAC, kitchen, baths, flooring and other important options.
Final House Plan Review
Once you have received, reviewed and approved (with our assistance) your final house plan design, we will send out your house plan to our subcontractors for a bid on each job phase. Robin will then prepare a workable house price based upon your preferences and budget – we allow about 2-3 weeks for this process.
Pricing Approval and Building Contracts
Upon your review and approval of the house pricing, we will move forward with the construction contract and specifications. These documents will outline in detail the construction building agreement and specifications for interior and exterior finishes including but not limited to siding, brick, stone, windows, HVAC, electrical, plumbing, fixtures, kitchen, baths, flooring and/or builder allowances for these items.
Finalize Financing Commitment
If not already determined, choose your lender and obtain final approval for your construction financing – this will be necessary for our next steps.
Selections Worksheet and Distributors for Selections
These documents are provided to help you break down the final selections process into 4 manageable sections and to give you a time frame of when we need to have your finalized selections so construction can proceed on schedule.
Building Permit Application
Once the construction contract and specifications are signed and we have bank loan approval we can submit an application for the building permit. The permitting process in Carroll County takes about 2-3 weeks. Once we receive the permit we can begin breaking ground and the exciting process of building your custom home.